austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
My older runner duck has been laying soft shelled eggs at the same time every afternoon for several weeks. I pulverized a calcium citrate pill and tried to give it to her via treats, but she once she realized the CC was on there, she wouldn't touch them. Then I tried to syringe watered down CC in her mouth, but she never swallowed. Does anyone know of any other way to get Calcium in her? Also, could this be a reproductive issue? I noticed after she lays the egg, she seems out of it and her pelvic region pulsates a bit, like she's sore down there.

I do see her eating oyster shell, although I don't see her shoveling it in. It's usually just a nibble.

If you'll go here and scroll down till you find how to give oral meds it will show you how to use the syringe to give meds. I do it and I know you can too. I'd get calcium gluconate if you can get the cc pulverized enough to mix with water. cal glu is liquid already. I am using this method right now to give my duck liquid b complex.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nd-supportive-care-updated-5-14-2018.1048620/

I stick them in with my finger far as my finger can reach, then massage them down the esophagus. Yes, crop is on the right.
Yippee! It worked. It was a bit crowded back there, but I got it to the entrance of her crop and pushed it a bit. The pill was followed up by tomatoes. I didn't see it anywhere in her water bowl (I thought she might try to regurgitate it up), so I assume she got it down.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom