Egg laid without shell

h0m3gr0wn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
Hi All,

I think I have read around here that this happens...but wanted to know why. My hens just started laying, I think this one came from my black. She has laid one egg and it was a huge double yolker, she hasn't laid since and the other two laid yesterday, so I am guessing this was her. She laid it in the middle of the night off of the roost. It has a white sack around it, like the inner lining of a shell, since she laid it while roosting it splattered.

Im in a similar situation to you in that i have young birds that are new to the laying game
Its just their systems getting used to the idea of what its intended to do
Ive had a few soft shelled eggs etc
It does throw you a bit if your not used to it happening ive had 6 or 7 paper thin ones from my 3 over the last 3 months.
I just scoop them up and stick them in the compost now
smile.png

It's just a reproductive glitch. Her body missed a step in the egg-making process. It's fairly common in new layers and usually works itself out in a few months. You'll get double yolkers, ne shell eggs, weird shell eggs, fart eggs with no yolk, lots of weird things. These just never make their way into the grocery store due to the screening they do on the eggs.

Thanks! I composted mine...then stepped in it while raking the pile. That was odd. Good to know it happens. I hope we don't have too many more double yolk eggs, I don't think my hen will ever lay again if she has to push one of those puppies out.

I use them as a bargaining tool with the neighbour.
She does a mean Victoria sponge and is fascinated with double yolked eggs
So the deal is a simple one lol
I pass one over and she passes that beast of a sponge over her fence lol

We've have this happen every once in a while. They are called "Ghost eggs". It's due to not getting enough of mineral I believe. But anyway, A way to fix this problem is to feed them Oyster Shell. This some how reverses it, We've been doing it for four or five years now, and it really does work. You can general by a bag of it at any feed store. :D

Back
Top Bottom