Egg-Laying Age By Breed?

There really isn’t a good way to predict when a chicken will start laying. Of course, some breeds tend to lay earlier or later than others, but the numbers you normally see are typically averages
They'll start telling ya when they're close to laying too.

Yes, I know individuals vary. But I would like to narrow it down beyond "somewhere between 4 and 8 months" according to the breeds I actually have and to evaluate that factor for breeds I'm considering adding. :)

I have a California White, 2 Blue Australorps, 2 Silver-Laced Wyandottes, and 2 Light Brahmas.

I'm considering several other breeds to add next year -- Delawares, Langhans, White Legbars, French Marans (black and cuckoo), and some others.

we’ve had several of these breeds. I’d say all are around 18 weeks to 20 weeks. our light Brahmas (feb hatch) were also in this window -more like 20 weeks. I think California White are production type, so you might get those closer to 16 weeks, but I have never had them.

In case, like I just did, you come across this old thread looking for a general answer to the original question:

Attachments

• 61E2B3A7-3690-4241-BD87-472DEBCFDE45.png
    61E2B3A7-3690-4241-BD87-472DEBCFDE45.png
    433.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom