Egg laying & age question...

Stamphappy

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2018
Massachusetts
I have a hen that just started laying again after a couple months off. She lays every day or two. The last couple days her eggs had a lot of calcium deposits. Today she laid a soft shell egg. We don’t know how old she is, three birds were passed on to us when a friend moved from her flock of 16- of which were all 1-4yrs old. Is this it normal to lay eggs with extra calcium one day and a soft egg the next? Is it a sign of old age? She is the only blue layer in our flock so I’m positive she laid them.

My old hens do that sometimes. As long as they have balanced feed, it should be fine. It might help if you give them access to oyster shells or another source of calcium.

Some people also add apple cider vinegar to the water.

My old hens do that sometimes. As long as they have balanced feed, it should be fine. It might help if you give them access to oyster shells or another source of calcium.

Some people also add apple cider vinegar to the water.
They already have access to oyster shells and have ACV in their water. I switch between that and an electrolyte/vitamin supplement. Figured it’s just old age, but haven’t had any older hens yet so wasn’t sure.

Back
Top Bottom