egg laying and shell integrity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loriensmom, Nov 27, 2007.

1. loriensmom

loriensmom New Egg

May 21, 2007
    What is a solution to cracking eggs? They don't seem to like the oyster shell pieces i give them. They have just started to lay eggs. Thanks in advance!

2. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had a similar problem and asked my vet! She told me to get some reptile calcium suppliment w/o the extra vitamins. Its called Repto Cal! It has the consistancy of flour, I put 2 tbsp. in my 11 lb. feeder with my pellets. Pickey little hens didnt know any different! [​IMG]

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Or you can crush some egg shells and mix them with something-like cooked egg or yogurt or mash. Nothing like doing it the natural way...

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    You have them on layer feed right?

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you decide on the egg shell route cook them first, so as to avoid illness, and then crush them. Mine eat the shells plain-and go nuts for them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I quit using oyster shells years ago because even with using it I would get eggs with fragile shells. I now use D.E.(diatamacious earth) and I rarely have problems with the shells. I just mix probably 4 cups or so with 100 lbs of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by