Egg Laying & artificial light

2BD4C10C

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2015
East TN
We have 14 hens, 1 white leghorn, 4 Sex Links & 10 RIR during the summer and fall we where getting 11 or 12 eggs a day. As the weather changed it dropped a bit and now we are down to 2-3 eggs a day. So last week we put in a light and I am wondering how long it might be before egg production goes back up?

And is there anything else we can do to encourage them to lay more.

You should see results in about two weeks.

Are you tacking the extra light hours onto the front part of the day, timing it to come on just before sunrise? That's the best practice to maintain flock well-being.

And are you aware that there's no need to waste money on high wattage light when even a 60 watt bulb will accomplish the objective?

The light is about a 60 watt I think. I know it isnt higher than that. It isnt on a timer it just stays on all night. Would I have better results putting it on a timer?

I had only 4 hens that had not started egg production at all. I was told it would be about 4 weeks before they would start. As I got on to week 5 and 6, I read about putting some light in the coop. I hung a string of Christmas lights in the coop that comes on about 4:30 am giving the hens about13 hours or so of light. This is the small lights version, not the bigger screw in bulbs. Within a week I think I had my first egg. Some of that might have just been timing and the hens just naturally came into production. But I am now steadily getting eggs each day.
Rob

The light is about a 60 watt I think. I know it isnt higher than that. It isnt on a timer it just stays on all night. Would I have better results putting it on a timer?
24 hour light isn't good. They need a light/dark cycle for egg production. It may just be best to let them have their natural, seasonal break in laying. The days will begin to lengthen again in just a few more weeks naturally.

We need the eggs to pay for their feed. Other wise I would let nature take its course.

I will look into getting a timer.

Lighting isn't that instant or simple.
Sudden and drastic changes in lighting can have undesirable effects.

Even when applied carefully, it doesn't always work...isn't working so well for me this 3rd winter.

Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Just wanted to update. After talking to you all here we started turning the light on 2-3 hours before sunrise and off the rest of the time. Within 2 days egg production had went up from 3-4 eggs to 7-8 eggs out of the 14 hens.

I think it has a bit to do with light hours changing as well as the artificial light but the hens are once again paying for their food :)

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom