Egg laying breeds

ozzchicken

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa
What egg laying breeds would you recommend? I live in central eastern Pa, ( allentown area) I have an 8x8 coop.
Prefer to have breeds that aren't excessively noisey or aggressive. any info, comments, opinions are greatly appreciated

Easter Eggers, sold by hatcheries as Ameraucana or Auracana, are pretty fail-safe for first time chickens.
smile.png

They are healthy, not aggressive, quality eggs, charming, no combs to frost bite, cold hardy, and most of alll, come in different colors so you can tell each one apart. Even their eggs come in slightly different shades of color so you can tell which hen is laying which egg.

Some people say EE's lay great, others say they're not very dependable. I don't think they are...

Leghorns
Sexlinks
Plymouth Rocks
RIR

Last edited:
I have 3 EEs (my first chickens) and I'm getting between 5-6 eggs a week. Granted, they're still pullets, but...

They are usually very quiet (with the exception of when they're laying, then they discover their voice
lol.png
) My ladies are not the most social with me but they are very docile. And you can get a whole calidascope of colors with them too. All three of mine are different colors.

I'd also recommend either Speckled Sussex or Australorps. They're both suppost to be very good layers and both are said to be very docile. I'm trying both those breeds now (they're in the brooder still, so I have a bit of a wait to give you an eval on them
smile.png
).

I sell brown eggs all my customers want brown eggs and I bought some sex-links and there were laying machines did alot better than dual purpose breeds so thats whatI would recommend

My EEs werent' very good. But my leghornXee is a sky blue egg layin machine! She started laying in June and has consistantly laid 5+ per week even through the winter.
My white rocks layed were very steady. I got them as two year olds and they kept laying up to 4 eggs a week until this winter (now 5 years old) so they now have a new home... but still just dropped to 2 eggs a week.

Try the selection tool ( bottom of menu) on www.MyPetChicken.com--it's loads of fun and can help you identify breeds of chickens by "friendly" or not, level of egg laying, color of eggs, etc. It's fun and educational. Note: it's not possible to list EVERY kind of chicken, but there's plenty to get you going in the right direction. Have fun!
big_smile.png

Try the selection tool ( bottom of menu) on www.MyPetChicken.com--it's loads of fun and can help you identify breeds of chickens by "friendly" or not, level of egg laying, color of eggs, etc. It's fun and educational. Note: it's not possible to list EVERY kind of chicken, but there's plenty to get you going in the right direction. Have fun!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom