Egg Laying Cam - wireless video streaming or still-shot motion sensor?

debir1966

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Central Idaho
I think I posted this question in the wrong forum. Hope I get some input here
smile.png

I have been searching through the coop cam threads but have not come up with a definitive answer to my question.

We bought some older chickens off craigslist and I want to know who for sure is laying and who isn't. I will be checking the width between the pelvic bones, looking at pigmentation, etc, tomorrow.

However, being I am a newbie at checking pelvic spread, the chickens just got done being treated for scaley leg mites, lice and a small moult LOL so their pigmentation is all over the place and I have some grey skinned chickens (ameraucanas, etc), I am not 100% confident that I will be able to determine which chicken is laying and which one is not.

When we first got the chickens they laid about 27 eggs the first week. Stress from the move, moulting and adding a rooster slowed them down to 8 eggs a week. Just as they had started picking back up, we discovered and started treating for scaley leg mites and lice.

We do not think the chickens are as young as the lady told us they were but I know they have the potential to lay 27 eggs a week. Last week we got 17.

I have read about using lipstick or food coloring, but we want to be able to monitor our flock as it grows (we have 20 new layers in the brooder now) and I would like to do so in a way that is the least stressful to me and to the hens.

After talking it over with my husband, we have decided to use a coop cam aimed at the nest boxes. However, I do not know if a wireless IP camera streaming constant video or a still shot motion detector camera like a game cam or trail cam.

I like the live streaming idea, but then I would have to watch the computer all day to see who was going in and out of the nest boxes.

So I am leaning towards a motion detector camera but want to make sure how well this would work and am hoping someone else may have some advise and/or input.

Thank you for your time!

I have a wireless ip cam that has a motion setting. It will take a series of six snapshots and send them to your email address automatically as well as live streaming. I got it to keep an eye on the chickens and primarily to keep and eye on the automatic door while we're on vacation. I love it!

KDK1 : thanks for replying! That is exactly what I am looking for! May I get the brand/name of the cam you have? I would love to have the live streaming, but don't want to have to monitor the coop all day to see who is laying, so the motion setting is exactly perfect! Woot!
celebrate.gif

I would be interested in what you end up with we have just started exploring our options our hens are 14 weeks and we want to be able to see who our primary layers are when they start laying.

KDK1 : thanks for replying! That is exactly what I am looking for! May I get the brand/name of the cam you have? I would love to have the live streaming, but don't want to have to monitor the coop all day to see who is laying, so the motion setting is exactly perfect! Woot!
celebrate.gif
I have the Foscam FI8919W. The motion detection is pretty sensitive, though I know you can set it for your needs. It also has infrared for night vision and two way audio. Less than $100. You can view mine at http://98.197.11.59:8090 Sign in as "guest" The password is "password". (you'll have to do this twice). If you're using IE, click on first log-in button, any other browser... Safari, Google Chrome, AOL,etc., click on second log-in button. Click on "live video" Also, If using IE, you must have Active X installed and operating.
Oh yeah... it has pan and tilt too! You can follow the action from your computer. I can see every square inch of my coop form any computer or my iPhone.

Last edited:
Placed my order today! I can't wait to get it, I have a chicken going broody I think and want to put some eggs under her. Thanks again KDK1! Bonus it was onsale for $85.00 and free shipping!

Placed my order today! I can't wait to get it, I have a chicken going broody I think and want to put some eggs under her. Thanks again KDK1! Bonus it was onsale for $85.00 and free shipping!

Setup can be tricky, but there is an active forum at http://foscam.us/forum/ and people there will walk you through any setup problems. You can also PM me and I'll try to help if I can.

Did you buy from foscam directly? If you did, they will set it up for you remotely.

Gargoyle: Thank you! I will be sure to, and thank you for the forum link.

KDK1: I didn't purchase the remote setup, but I did buy directly from Foscam.

I am not too tech savvy LOL, I will probably need all the help I can get!

Back
Top Bottom