Egg laying outside the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckfan, Oct 20, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    My girls are six months old and have been laying for about a month. I have three nest boxes for six birds but someone keeps laying out in their yard upon a wall in the dirt. They have scratched out a nice little nest there, but I want the eggs in the coop! They don't seem crowded and actually have two coops to go in. The place where she is laying is a good 25 feet away from the coop. How can I discourage this? The coops are elevated, clean and offer privacy. [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

What time do you let them out? Can they leave freely, whenever they wish? What time do the hens lay? What time is that outside lay, do you think?

3. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Fred's Hens :

What time do you let them out? Can they leave freely, whenever they wish? What time do the hens lay? What time is that outside lay, do you think?

I let them out in the morning. They are free to go to the run and coop or out in their yard. So far the laying times are not consistent. It does seem like they are laying more in the late afternoon . Their yard is maybe 40x50 the run is 10x10 and the coops are elevated in the 10x10 area. They are only confined at night.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by