Egg laying problems/disease?

Samblast

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Central Maryland
My 1 year old barred rock hen has been laying eggs strangely for the last month about. I don’t really know what’s wrong but something is definitely up with her. She lays about 3 eggs a week, which is lower than my other barred rocks(6-7 eggs a week, same age). When she lays eggs she will usually lay 2 in a day. One with a ring and one that is larger, lighter, thinner shelled, sometimes mended, and sometimes broken. She is larger than my other barred rocks and her abdomen is a little swollen. She lays 1 “normal” egg a week. When she was just starting to lay she laid shell-less eggs(stopped that soon after she started). She also lays down more in the dirt then the other hens. Sometimes her comb has a little bit of purple at the tips. She also has had pin less peepers on for about 2 months due to her being an extreme feather puller. No other chickens have symptoms or problems regarding egg laying, Any ideas on what could be up with her?

Yes, her lay cycle does sound off. Are you using supplemental light? I believe that can interfere with the natural lay cycle. Where is she in the pecking order? Was there any stress event when this started?

Is an avian vet an option? If she were mine, I’d take her to an avian vet. That is not necessarily an option for many people. I’m feeling a bit stumped on this one.

When did she lay her last egg? First off, I don't like pinless peepers. To me, they seem cruel and harmful, It seems like they would hurt! They can also cause bleeding, and harm if used improperly. I also worry, that if they were in a pecking order battle, or got snagged on something, and got pulled, or yanked on, they could pinch an hurt or make something bleed. I personally DO NOT trust them, and wouldn't use them, but it is your choice. Secondly, How long ago did she start laying? Is it starting to get dark where you are, that generally slows egg production. Is she molting? :D Avery

Yes, her lay cycle does sound off. Are you using supplemental light? I believe that can interfere with the natural lay cycle. Where is she in the pecking order? Was there any stress event when this started?

Is an avian vet an option? If she were mine, I’d take her to an avian vet. That is not necessarily an option for many people. I’m feeling a bit stumped on this one.

I am not using supplemental light. She is the #1 hen in the pecking order. No stress event that I know of. An avian vet is not currently an option

When did she lay her last egg? First off, I don't like pinless peepers. To me, they seem cruel and harmful, It seems like they would hurt! They can also cause bleeding, and harm if used improperly. I also worry, that if they were in a pecking order battle, or got snagged on something, and got pulled, or yanked on, they could pinch an hurt or make something bleed. I personally DO NOT trust them, and wouldn't use them, but it is your choice. Secondly, How long ago did she start laying? Is it starting to get dark where you are, that generally slows egg production. Is she molting? :D Avery

My older chickens in a separate coop are molting but my younger chickens(whom the chicken of interest is part of) have not started molting yet. She laid her first egg when she was about 6 months old.

As for the painless peepers, we had tried everything with her to make her stop pulling out feathers of her sisters. We gave them more space, more protein, separated her, and even tried putting her in with my older chickens. It was just very bad. I would be inside and hear the other chickens scream from getting plucked. It’s not the best but I don’t want to eat her or give her away.

Hi, the chicken who I was asking about just laid 2 eggs again today. One has the ring and one is deformed?
ED2700F0-5698-47D8-9BAB-A09EB6935907.jpeg
3218291C-9B76-4F22-B5E3-14237A12F786.jpeg
8C6CCA3A-235A-48E1-9BA7-7CCDFB0DD437.jpeg

My 1 year old barred rock hen has been laying eggs strangely for the last month about. I don’t really know what’s wrong but something is definitely up with her. She lays about 3 eggs a week, which is lower than my other barred rocks(6-7 eggs a week, same age). When she lays eggs she will usually lay 2 in a day. One with a ring and one that is larger, lighter, thinner shelled, sometimes mended, and sometimes broken. She is larger than my other barred rocks and her abdomen is a little swollen. She lays 1 “normal” egg a week. When she was just starting to lay she laid shell-less eggs(stopped that soon after she started). She also lays down more in the dirt then the other hens. Sometimes her comb has a little bit of purple at the tips. She also has had pin less peepers on for about 2 months due to her being an extreme feather puller. No other chickens have symptoms or problems regarding egg laying, Any ideas on what could be up with her?
Hi I was wondering I had a similar case and she had parasites on her and her comb got darker etc due to mosquito bites.. I got a spray and started spraying her and give her vitamins extra food water and everything returned to normal after few month

Back
Top Bottom