Egg laying problems

fratmor

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
ny,ny
I have 13 chickens that are 3 years old. They have been molting for the last month. I ve gotten 2 eggs total in the last 10 days. is this normal .

It's perfectly normal. Most chickens stop laying altogether during a molt. Plus, they've likely passed their peak of production so you'll quite likely see a reduction in eggs...from age, molt and shorter days. Try to give them extra protein since it's needed to make new feathers and eggs, so they almost can't get too much during a molt :)

It's perfectly normal. Most chickens stop laying altogether during a molt. Plus, they've likely passed their peak of production so you'll quite likely see a reduction in eggs...from age, molt and shorter days. Try to give them extra protein since it's needed to make new feathers and eggs, so they almost can't get too much during a molt :)

Yes, as mickey said, it's very normal. They will start laying again after they re-grow all their feathers and get their body weight back up.

That's up to you. I have some chickens that are almost 4 years old. A couple only lay once or so a week, but 2 of my others still lay 5 eggs a week. You could certainly start growing out some chicks, just in case though.

Back
Top Bottom