Egg laying Problems

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McIntosh2019, Oct 19, 2013.

1. McIntosh2019

McIntosh2019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    So my gorgeous buff orpington has jst started to lay eggs, and they are supposed to be great egg layers. Her first egg was rubbery and thin. We thought that it was just first egg problems. So then weeks go by and her eggs are still like that and we learned that it was because her eggs didn't have enough calcium. Does anybody have any ideas about how to build up more calcium in her system??

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    offer oyster shell (ground available from feed store) or any other good calcium source. offer them free choice to the hens, she will eat what she needs. for now it wouldnt hurt to give her a calcium pill if you have one handy.
  3. McIntosh2019

McIntosh2019 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    OK. Thanks.
  4. Bubba56

Bubba56 New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    I use oyster shells. You can mix it in their food or a separate container. You will be surprised in how good the shells get.
  5. grinningranny

grinningranny Out Of The Brooder

My chickens don't seem to care for the taste of the oyster shells much, so I grind up egg shells and mix in with the oyster shell. It is so fine they don't recognize it an egg and hasn't triggered any egg eating in the flock, and they seem to eat it much more readily.
  6. ileggs

ileggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Chicago IL
    I mix oyster shells with my food and they eat it! It got to the point where the eggs were to hard and I had to lay off of the oyster shells for a while!! :)
  7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I mix the oyster shells in with yogurt , any plain one will do and they get twice the calcium. Oh I throw in a bit of food in the mix stir it up good and put it in a dish and by evening it is gone. I especially like to do this with new layers. The high protein grower ration does not have as much calcium as the layer feeds do, i think. Anyway it works for me and I hope it will work for others too. I also throw a bit of the oyster shells that are crushed into the run for them to pick at. The bowl of oyster shell did not work for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by