Egg laying process...?

savingpurple

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
NW Ohio
From what I have read on here and in books, most hens lay eggs in the early morning. With that rule of thumb, my question is, When I open up the coop in the morning, is this when I should be expecting to see an egg has been laid? Or do they come out, and then the hens feels the need and will retreat back in to the coop to lay an egg?

Just curious how yours do it, so I have an idea when to look! Thanks in advance:)

My girls lay when ever the urge strikes them. some lay 'where ever' it strikes them too
roll.png

I believe it is a 25 hour cycle, so eventually they will be afternoon layers.
The first time I saw a hen lay an egg I was shocked. I thought they did it sitting down.
I am very impressed that they don't shatter from the drop.

and yes, to answer your question, they will need to go back into the coop to lay, so be sure they have a way into the coop. If they are free ranging, they will hide a nest somewhere and surprise you.
wink.png

Last edited:
My hens lay throughout the day, sometimes as late as 4:30 in the afternoon. But they always return to the coop to lay.

It is a 25 hour cycle, so if a hen lays in the morning, it will gradually get later each day until she skips a day, then she'll go back to the morning.

Like said above, 25+ hour cycle at best(except for the rare bird)
You may get more in the morning because they won't lay at night. It will get later and later each day until they skip a day and start in the morning again.

Quote:
I do have night layers. Sometimes they make it into a nest box and sometimes it is dropped to the floor from a roost.
hu.gif

Agreed, but it's been very rare for me. There's no light so they won't leave the roost. I guess if they can't wait they might let it drop from the roost but I've only seen it twice in the last year with over 20 layers and they were soft shells so I suspect something other than a night layer in that case.
Maybe if there was a little light it would happen more often.

Homestead tim...congrats!!!! I am waiting,and that is why I asked when to look. I think it's too early for my ladies, but the same age hens are laying for my sister and co worker, and mine are turning red and combs seem to have doubled in size over night. So still waiting in Ohio......
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom