Egg laying Q with jumbo Brown

dave812

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Ok had 26 Quail chicks, they r some where around 15 weeks old, I was getting 7 to 9 eggs a day, around week 7 on week 8 I took all males out but 2 so I have 9 female and 2 male, and I shut back light to 15 hours, they were on 24 hours light, I figured they would slow down laying because of taking birds out of pen, and they did I'm getting 3-5 a day now but it's been 3 weeks, is that long enough for them to get back to normal or r they doing this because of light cut back? I thought they would be fine with 15 hours of light. Any insight this is my first flock.

15 hours a day should be sufficient lighting for egg laying, is it possible your two males are fighting/competing for the females so much that it's stressing them out causing reduced egg laying?

I just removed a female that was picking on males, they seam now I was told to remove her for a bit and try putting her back in a few weeks hopefully it helps

I just removed a female that was picking on males, they seam now I was told to remove her for a bit and try putting her back in a few weeks hopefully it helps

It's possible she's bucking because of the constant harassment from dual males?

When removing a quail you plan on putting back, best to divide your existing cage if possible or at least keep the two cages close to each other, keeping them in view increases the chance of reintroducing them without problems :)

Back
Top Bottom