Egg laying question from newbie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rdj, Mar 28, 2009.

1. rdj

rdj New Egg

Oct 5, 2008
    I'm relativly new to chickens. We got three golden comets last Sept. We consistantly have gotten 1 to 2 eggs per day since. All of the hens are the same age, they were a year old when we got them. I just thought it was caused by molting that we have never gotten 3 eggs per day.
    About a two months ago we started seeing a third egg smashed in the coop maybe once per 10 days. Now, a couple of weeks ago we started seeing a third egg maybe 3 to 4 times since that is the size of a malted milk ball. When you bust it there appears to be no yoke. Any ideas? Is this normal or is there a problem.

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Those small eggs are normal, especially when they first start laying. Takes a while for the plumbing to start working! It's also very normal to not get an egg a day from each hen. They lay on a 25 hour schedule. I have 10 hens and I think the most I've ever had in one day was 7. No worries - your girls are perfectly normal!

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Those eggs sound like the wind eggs (fart eggs) of young pullets. Are you sure those chickens were a year old when you got them?

4. cointoss

cointoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Gaylordsville, CT
    That sounds pretty odd -- definitely not like they were a year old at the time. I would also wonder what they are eating? I have golden comets, and get an egg a day from each of them. They are supposed to be the best layers, so what you're reporting is not normal IMO. My girls only stop laying when they: a) don't get enough protein b) don't get enough calcium c) are kept indoors for more than two days (they're free-range brats, and their big run isn't acceptable, apparantly) or d)are molting. You can easily augment protein with field peas (split peas), soybeans or mealworms. Calcium with oyster shells.

Also -- do they have a nice big egg-laying box? My girls will also stop laying for a day or two when I change the bedding in their nest box (which I rarely do since they almost never poo in there).

Just some ideas...

Good luck -- hope you get more eggs soon! Though I am sure even without the eggs they are entertaining you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by