Egg laying questions from a newbie

biretta

Songster
12 Years
Jun 7, 2007
Hi, I got my first egg on Wed, which was normal-shelled. On Thursday I found egg remnants in the coop, but no shell or pieces so I'm assuming it was shell-less (only the membrane was there, with the contents gone, probably eaten by one or more of the hens). I put up a nest box and the RIR who laid the egg (s?) has even gone in to inspect it and arrange the shavings into a nest, but no eggs since. Is it normal to lay so sporadically at first, and most importantly, how do I keep them from eating the eggs again? I'm afraid this will become habitual.

My pullets layed an egg every 3 days then after a week of no eggs i got one.then every day .Pullets that are just starting to lay dont have a 25 hr. cycle like mature hens.

Also my pullets layed shelless eggs before,i dont know if its just an immature thing or a calcium difficientcy.I bought them some oystershell,and no more shelless eggs.

I have noticed that if my hens go to the nest and start gathering stuff for a nest,that you will recieve an egg SOON.
I think they feel the egg in em,and go work on the nest.

I bet they will stop eating the eggs once,you get shelled eggs. im not sure though?

Last edited:
Thanks, chickenwoods. That is what was confusing: She acted like she was about to lay in the nest, but then...nothing. I'm afraid egg eating will happen again shell or no shell because they get so bored in their run; they like pecking at everything that comes into view. I have 5 hens in a 7' x 13' pen. I've seen more chickens in smaller pens that never get let out ; I let mine out several times a day and give them different foods to try to keep them entertained. I think I'll need to come up with some kind of chicken toys to distract them

I have 2 RIR, 1 Australorp, 2 Ameracaunas. What breeds do you think have egg-eating tendencies?

Back
Top Bottom