Egg Laying Time of Day

Bruthabuz

Chirping
Jul 3, 2023
Northern California
Is it normal for chickens to be laying eggs only in the daytime? Most of the time I see farmers and other go out first thing in the morning to gather eggs. If I go out first thing in the morning, there is nothing there. But if I go out late in the evening or early night, there's anywhere from 18-24 in the nesting boxes. I don't have a problem with it, I'll take them anytime. Just curious.

The time is "not sleeping". and I don't know where you are seeing this, but either the farmers have a collection system and are picking up in the AM for convenience, or you are not seeing all the collections. Most producction birds seem to be on a 25-27 hour cycle, so if hen A lays 8am today, tommorow will likely be between 9 and 11, the day after between 10 and 2, etc until an egg would be laid during a time when its sleeping - then it holds till morning and starts the cycle over.

and in my place, my birds are up and about at false dawn - 5ish??

I have had a trail cam in the coop before and found they they usually start getting active between 4-6 AM. The flock is only about 6 months old and have been laying for about 6 weeks now. My wife and I have been checking a few times a day for the last two weeks and there never seems to be any eggs before noon on any day. They definitely have a favorite nest! There might be 2-3 eggs in several different nests, but in their favorite, there are usually about 10! Last night, I found two in there at the same time! Thanks, U_Stormcrow!

I have had a trail cam in the coop before and found they they usually start getting active between 4-6 AM. The flock is only about 6 months old and have been laying for about 6 weeks now. My wife and I have been checking a few times a day for the last two weeks and there never seems to be any eggs before noon on any day. They definitely have a favorite nest! There might be 2-3 eggs in several different nests, but in their favorite, there are usually about 10! Last night, I found two in there at the same time! Thanks, U_Stormcrow!
Like this? That's the favorite nest box of my chickens. IMG_2483.JPG

They tend to lay earlier in the day rather than later, especially for birds that like lounging a while, as if they wait until too late in the day they might not make it up to the roost for the night.

If someone's egg collecting time is strictly first thing in the morning, then they'll find eggs from the previous 24 hours there. Or if it's strictly last thing in the evening, same thing. I collect twice a day generally (9 AM and 4 PM or thereabouts) so there can be eggs at either point in time.

Mine are just starting to lay, so there have been a few soft shell / shell less eggs. But those are always on the floor of the run, first thing in the morning.

The time is "not sleeping". and I don't know where you are seeing this, but either the farmers have a collection system and are picking up in the AM for convenience, or you are not seeing all the collections. Most producction birds seem to be on a 25-27 hour cycle, so if hen A lays 8am today, tommorow will likely be between 9 and 11, the day after between 10 and 2, etc until an egg would be laid during a time when its sleeping - then it holds till morning and starts the cycle over.

and in my place, my birds are up and about at false dawn - 5ish??
I am observing this with my birds. I only have 3 so I've been religiously documenting the times for the past month.
First day 7-10am, second day 10am-1pm, then third day 1-4pm. If they don't lay by 4pm (a couple of hours before sunset) they do it the next morning.
So I usually get eggs 3 days in a row, then the 4th day off from each hen.

especially for birds that like lounging a while,
I have a "lounger." I swear she has a good book in there, or a TV, or radio.:lol:

I used to document when each of my girls laid, back when I had 3 pullets/hens. That showed me that they were pretty much spot on with a 26 hour cycle. Now that they're all 2 and 3 years old and not laying as often, the cycle is more erratic.

I have one hen (not certain who, but I have my suspicions) who will occasionally drop a soft-shelled egg from the roost overnight. It'll be on the poop board at open up, so she lays/drops it between dusk (just before 9 last night) and when I go out in the morning at 6:45.

Back
Top Bottom