Egg Laying Times

RectorsRoost

Hatching
Sep 30, 2015
I have a wide variety of birds. 2 white leghorns, 2 barred rocks, 2 buffs ,2 red stars, 1 RR, and several others I don't even know what they are. But I was curious how it takes your chickens to actually lay the egg once they go to the box. For example my two barred rocks sit long periods of times and my leghorns set up there and get the egg out and get down!

How long does it take a woman to deliver a baby after she goes into labor?

It isn't a set time. It is the same with hens.
<rollseyses> human childbirth not really an apt analogy...
...but...
Yes, some birds get the job done quickly, and others take longer.

Last edited:
I find that my almost perpetually broody hen increases the time it takes her to lay as she progresses (or should that be "regresses") towards yet another round of broodiness. Today it was around 3 hours (with an off-nest break in-between) - my other layer wanted to use the same nest (don't they always) and it was a bit of a palaver until i sorted things out (put the silly broody layer outside and let the other one lay).

CT

Quote: Why not?
It is said that a chicken laying an egg a day is like a woman having an 8 lb. baby every day. Meaning that's a big mass of protein, fat,vitamins and minerals to kick out every day.
Logic would follow that it takes some animals longer to expel their progeny than others. At least that's my logic.

Last edited:
You just reminded me of the film - "the meaning of life" by Monty Python. One part of the film depicts a Catholic family in Yorkshire (dubbed - somewhere in the third world...) - the woman has a child whilst washing the dishes and says to one of her many daughters - "will you get that for me love" and continues with the dishes.
smile.png
- funny stuff.

Please note, i am merely stating what is in a comedy film and i am most certainly not having a go at Catholics.

CT

Quote:
Why not?
It is said that a chicken laying an egg a day is like a woman having an 8 lb. baby every day. Meaning that's a big mass of protein, fat,vitamins and minerals to kick out every day.
Logic would follow that it takes some animals longer to expel their progeny than others. At least that's my logic.
Because:
Women don't give birth everyday.
It's anthropomorphic.
I find it slightly disrespectful.

So then use a cow or pig or rabbit or some other mammal.......
......or just say, "some chickens take longer to lay their daily eggs than others".
wink.png

I did, originally.
Most backyard keepers can't relate to a cow or pig, since many have never seen one let alone understand gestation.

I wonder how many others were offended by my disrespect for women.

So I am brand new to chickens, and I just recently had my first two pullets start laying. I have a black sex link and an easter egger laying right now. They both seem to do their business and then leave right away. Never more than five to ten minutes. ill see if my others are the same.

Because:
Women don't give birth everyday.
It's anthropomorphic.
I find it slightly disrespectful.

So then use a cow or pig or rabbit or some other mammal.......
......or just say, "some chickens take longer to lay their daily eggs than others".
wink.png
Um...cows, pigs, and rabbits don't give birth everyday either. How would it be more appropriate to use those mammals as an example, rather than a human?

Back
Top Bottom