Egg laying troubles

icequeen029

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 19, 2012
I have about 11 hens w/ one rooster in a pen that is about 15x15 feet but there house is more like 20x30x10 this summer I let them out because it got hot so they where free range & since it has cooled off I put them back up. They where laying ok outside about 4 to 5 eggs a day now I get 0 to 2 eggs? I feed them corn only if that makes a difference. Please help.

could be that the days are getting shorter so less light or their molting you might want to feed some protein along with the corn or their just tired of laying eggs
wink.png

While free ranging they were getting a varied diet now in lock down and only corn to eat their protein intake has dropped. Protein is needed to lay eggs. A good layer feed is about 16% protein and also contains vitamins and minerals they need. If you switched from corn to layer you would probably see an increase in laying and and the health of your girls.

Dan's right. Without the bugs and other assorted greens they aren't getting what they need.

Corn is 8%protein - 3.5% fat - 3% fiber (roughly of course) no calcium.

Layer feed is 16% - 2.5% fat -7% fiber and nearly 5% calcium

Twice the protein and twice the fiber. Your birds need this. Not to mention the lysine, phosphorus and other minerals they need.

Also consider that corn runs (in my neck of the woods) only about $4 per 50lb bag cheaper. It's not worth the cost difference if your not getting eggs and your flock isn't staying healthy. If you want to treat your hens buy it in smaller bags and give them the laying feed free choice.

Good luck. I bet with a change of diet your hens are back to laying well in just a couple weeks!

Last edited:
x3 If they are not getting enough protein and calcium their egg production will be low to none and their health will suffer long term. Because you have a rooster I would get a non-medicated grower or flock raiser and some oyster shells for calcium. With a layer feed your rooster will be eating calcium that he does not need and should not eat.

You can supplement with corn and even your own table scraps: veggies, fruits, whole grain breads, meat. You could also look into farming your own mealworms. I have found them to be a great, cheap protein source. But, giving them some feed everyday is likely the best way to go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom