Egg laying

AmandaMesser

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2018
Ashland, Ky
My hen started laying about a month ago. I got her last July.She hasn’t laid an egg in four days. Could it be because the weather has gotten colder again? Should I be worried?

Is she still eating/drinking/pooping? Going about her normal daily routine? What color is her comb/wattles? Did you get her as a chick or what age? It's possible it's the weather, I panicked when my one BO who lays faithfully daily, stopped for 2 days but the weather got icky wet, cold & dark. Resumed but I'm thinking she's thinking of going broody so been keeping a close eye on her, she even plucked out her breast feathers!

We got her as a chick. Other than not laying, she seems just fine. Eats. Drinks. Talks. Let’s us hold and play with her. Comb/wattle seems fine. We did have some really nice days and now it’s more like winter again. I keep telling myself it’s that but I am beginning to worry.

Is she still eating/drinking/pooping? Going about her normal daily routine? What color is her comb/wattles? Did you get her as a chick or what age? It's possible it's the weather, I panicked when my one BO who lays faithfully daily, stopped for 2 days but the weather got icky wet, cold & dark. Resumed but I'm thinking she's thinking of going broody so been keeping a close eye on her, she even plucked out her breast feathers!

Yep, if she is breast feather plucking, she's headed to broodyville. That's how they get the high heat to the eggs.

We got her as a chick. Other than not laying, she seems just fine. Eats. Drinks. Talks. Let’s us hold and play with her. Comb/wattle seems fine. We did have some really nice days and now it’s more like winter again. I keep telling myself it’s that but I am beginning to worry.

Give it a few more pretty days. Has she had a molt yet? First year pullets might start a molt in the spring. Keep a watch for a few more days, if nothing changes, could be weather or just a break. They do that sometimes too.

I'm thinking it's more weather related. Keep an eye on her and hopefully the weather turns to SPRING again.

Yep, if she is breast feather plucking, she's headed to broodyville. That's how they get the high heat to the eggs.

Yup, it's so moist & warm under her. If I see her sitting in the nest, I check under her and remove any eggs. I let her sit a bit but if she don't lay, she's off the nest ... Boy does she get upset, ha ha. She hasn't got broody but I know she's thinking and that won't happened. Got the Broody Jail ready ....

I'm thinking it's more weather related. Keep an eye on her and hopefully the weather turns to SPRING again.

Yup, it's so moist & warm under her. If I see her sitting in the nest, I check under her and remove any eggs. I let her sit a bit but if she don't lay, she's off the nest ... Boy does she get upset, ha ha. She hasn't got broody but I know she's thinking and that won't happened. Got the Broody Jail ready ....

My mother used to use the expression "madder than a wet hen". Now I know where that came from, the dunking to break broody.

My hen started laying about a month ago. I got her last July.She hasn’t laid an egg in four days. Could it be because the weather has gotten colder again? Should I be worried?

Do you free range?
She might be laying out in range area.

My mother used to use the expression "madder than a wet hen". Now I know where that came from, the dunking to break broody.
Not that this has anything to do with the OP's question...
...it cracked me up, and I'll bet that is where that saying came from. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom