Egg Laying

GLBRWyans

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Central Louisiana
At what age do hens start laying ?
idunno.gif
My ladies haven't started laying yet and I think they are about 2 1/2 months old , they are as big as my egg laying RIR and my Barred Rock lays quite infrequently . I get an egg every other day from best girl .

it seems most breeds ar at 20 to 22 weeks, unless, of course, you are waiting anxiously for them, then it is like 900 weeks:barnie

Watch for their combs getting big and red and possibly the "egg squat" and then they will be laying in no time. But at only 10 weeks, you got a while to go.

I have several 22 week old pullets (Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Australorps, and Ameraucana) that are not laying yet. I've heard of pullets laying as early as 18 weeks before but ten weeks, for any hybrid or breed, seems way too early.

Quote:
Agreed! However, My 22-week old Buff Orpingtons have bright red, well developed wattles and combs and have been squatting like crazy for two weeks! Every day I think THIS IS THE DAY. Today, when I heard the egg song sung over and over again I thought for sure I'd find an egg but apparently, they just like teasing me!
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you , as a proud papa of my first pullets , I did not know . Just getting anxious as one writer said .
D.gif
These are Golden laced Wyandottes and I want , not need ,but want , some Blue Laced red Wyandottes . They are beautiful .
big_smile.png
I get a strange look from my darling wife when I speak of the BLR wyandottes .

Quote:
Agreed! However, My 22-week old Buff Orpingtons have bright red, well developed wattles and combs and have been squatting like crazy for two weeks! Every day I think THIS IS THE DAY. Today, when I heard the egg song sung over and over again I thought for sure I'd find an egg but apparently, they just like teasing me!
smile.png

What is the egg song ?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom