egg laying

jameskevin

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Hello new member! I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, one rooster and three hens. the hens have started laying but will not lay in the coop where the boxes are. One lays in a milk crate on the back porch and the other two lay under the porch where we cant get to them, any suggestions would help. THANKS

Quote:
1st, Welcome to BYC from Nevada!
frow.gif

2nd, I would close off the underside of the porch so they can't get in there (in fact I did have to do this to my own) and then move the milk crate into the coop so they get the idea. I have fake eggs in my nests and they seem to get the idea pretty quickly that that's where the eggs belong. Good luck with your new flock!

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!
frow.gif

That can be frustrating. I suggest you put fake eggs in the nests where you want them to lay. Golf balls work well, but you can use about anything that is about the size and shape of an egg. I find the light things, like ping pong balls, get scratched out easily, but I have filled those plastic Easter eggs with sand and glued them shut. Those work fine.

When I have one not laying in the coop, I lock them all in the coop and run for about a week. That usually breaks them of their bad habits. It really helps to find the other nests and remove the eggs too. I did have one that I had to do this to twice to retrain her.

Good luck, and again
frow.gif

frow.gif
Hello and welcome to BYC! Good luck with the egg laying. My girls are 21 weeks and have not laid yet. It's nice to meet you.

Back
Top Bottom