Egg Laying

Guardian

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I have 8 chickens of different breeds and are all closely the same age (within about a week to 10 days) and about 4 months old. My Bardrock started laying about 10 days ago and the other Bard isn't, neither are any of the others (that I know, I've been "Easter egg" hunting everyday). A couple of questions. Will a disturbance such as my grandson peeking in to box or my cat hanging around cause her to not lay that day? And, don't the other chickens view egg laying as a "competition" and should have started laying by now since the other one has been laying for about 10 days? Sorry, one more question. Either the one that's laying or possibly one of the other ones has laid an egg twice, out of the box, but on the coop floor that isn't fully formed. The shell is for the most part kinda translucent and soft with a semi hard spot located on it as well. What is that all about?

I have 8 chickens of different breeds and are all closely the same age (within about a week to 10 days) and about 4 months old. My Bardrock started laying about 10 days ago and the other Bard isn't, neither are any of the others (that I know, I've been "Easter egg" hunting everyday). A couple of questions. Will a disturbance such as my grandson peeking in to box or my cat hanging around cause her to not lay that day? And, don't the other chickens view egg laying as a "competition" and should have started laying by now since the other one has been laying for about 10 days? Sorry, one more question. Either the one that's laying or possibly one of the other ones has laid an egg twice, out of the box, but on the coop floor that isn't fully formed. The shell is for the most part kinda translucent and soft with a semi hard spot located on it as well. What is that all about?
The others will lay when they're good and ready. It's not abnormal for a pullet to lay an egg that's not completely formed. I have a pullet that occasionally laid a normal egg followed by 2 "rubber eggs" on the same day. Hopefully, she will work out the glitches. I have found all of my rubber eggs outside of the nest box. You can bring them in and cook them up for the girls to boost their protein. You might offer extra calcium in the form of oyster shells or ground egg shells. I rinse my egg shells, let them dry, nuke them for 20 - 40 seconds (mostly for my germophobic peace of mind) then smack them into crumbs with my rolling pin. My girls prefer egg shell over oyster shells. Are you giving them layer feed?

Yes, I've just switched from crumbles to 2 grain scratch. I live way out in the country so they are completely free range on my property. I only pen them up in the coop at night. That's why I've been easter egg hunting everyday around the places they like to hang out! LOL....
The one that I know is laying is laying perfect brown eggs (be it that a couple have come out kinda small, I figure it's because she's young and that will improve). How about spooking the chickens or not having a good enough "privacy" place for laying? Do I need to put up more laying boxes around the property instead of relying on them to lay in the coop? I placed the coop up next to the house to discourage predators as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom