egg "Mass"....what is it?

winekntrychicks

Pooper Peeper
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Sebastopol, CA
Found an egg? this morning. Small like a huge olive. Squishy like a water balloon. When I opened it out came this yellow stuff. Had the consistency of mucousy mayonnaise gelled like. No odor. No "egg white" What is going on? What is this "egg" called?
hu.gif
caf.gif

Last edited:
I am not sure which pullet it is. no photo, they are 23 weeks old. It looks like what come out of your nose when you have a sinus infection. I have recently gotten 4 eggs this week that are shell less or very little shell.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd have to say the same thing. The first eggs can be weird to say the least. If the same hen keeps up with laying the shell-less or eggs with very little shell, she may have a calcium absorbency problem.

I got a weird egg today, too! The outside sort of sounds like what you described, but it has a yolk and "white" pretty much like normal. No odor either...well, except like an egg normally smells. Here are pictures that I took:
weirdegg1.jpg

weirdegg2.jpg

Is this anything like yours?

Anyone got any ideas about this one? Is it just one of those freak things or does this mean I have a chicken with a problem? Unfortunately, I have no idea which hen out of 14 laid this egg. It was on the floor below the roosting bar. I have 6 Leghorns, 4 Brahmas, and 4 Cochins which started laying about 1 month ago at ~20 wks of age--if that matters at all.

Thanks!

Last edited:
my white leghorns first 2 eggs looked like that, then she gave me a shelled double yolker! That must have hurt. She tends to give a small skips 2 days then a double yolker then normal for a few then repeats. I just had another pullet give me one today like that.

Are they on a layer feed? Are they getting calcium grit such as oyster shell?

If not, they should be. So far, all of my girls have laid eggs with nice hard shells. I feed them oyster shell, free choice and have fed them whole flax seed since they were about 3 weeks old.

Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom