egg "Mass"....what is it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by winekntrychicks, Oct 4, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Found an egg? this morning. Small like a huge olive. Squishy like a water balloon. When I opened it out came this yellow stuff. Had the consistency of mucousy mayonnaise gelled like. No odor. No "egg white" What is going on? What is this "egg" called?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

How old is the hen and do you have any photos.

3. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am not sure which pullet it is. no photo, they are 23 weeks old. It looks like what come out of your nose when you have a sinus infection. I have recently gotten 4 eggs this week that are shell less or very little shell.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Ok it its just a beginning layer, sometimes strange things happen to there first eggs. I had a layer lay something like that before. Hopefully she will get her line in order and lay a good egg.

5. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    This is what I am thinking as well. My first pullet to lay was my EE who I thought for sure was a roo. Well her 1st egg came out perfect.
    [​IMG]

6. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    any one else with any thoughts on the "egg mass" ??

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'd have to say the same thing. The first eggs can be weird to say the least. If the same hen keeps up with laying the shell-less or eggs with very little shell, she may have a calcium absorbency problem.

8. livin-green

livin-green Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Clay, Alabama
    I got a weird egg today, too! The outside sort of sounds like what you described, but it has a yolk and "white" pretty much like normal. No odor either...well, except like an egg normally smells. Here are pictures that I took:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this anything like yours?

Anyone got any ideas about this one? Is it just one of those freak things or does this mean I have a chicken with a problem? Unfortunately, I have no idea which hen out of 14 laid this egg. It was on the floor below the roosting bar. I have 6 Leghorns, 4 Brahmas, and 4 Cochins which started laying about 1 month ago at ~20 wks of age--if that matters at all.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  9. 3 sisters farm

3 sisters farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    puyallup wa
    my white leghorns first 2 eggs looked like that, then she gave me a shelled double yolker! That must have hurt. She tends to give a small skips 2 days then a double yolker then normal for a few then repeats. I just had another pullet give me one today like that.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Are they on a layer feed? Are they getting calcium grit such as oyster shell?

If not, they should be. So far, all of my girls have laid eggs with nice hard shells. I feed them oyster shell, free choice and have fed them whole flax seed since they were about 3 weeks old.

Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by