Egg membrane dried and stuck

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
I have a 2 day old chick that I just moved into the brooder. While moving him I notice that he has what appears to be dried up egg membrane stuck to his little butt. I am afraid that where it is completely covers his vent and he will be unable to poop. Any ideas on how I can safely remove it?? Thanks:he

I would suggest to Use warm water to soften it, then use tweezers to very carefully pull it off, go slow keep it moist, and stop right away if you see blood.

I fill a coffee mug with warm water and just suspend the chick in the water VERY careful to keep their head above water, and in about a minute it soaks loose and you can gently rub it off with your finger tips or a bit of paper towel. Then I wrap them up in layers of warm paper towel and put them in my shirt for a several minutes wrapped in the paper towel, cupped in my hand for warmth, and a small towel wrapped around everhything loosely to keep drafts out and help keep him warm. Takes about ten minutes for the fluff to get most of the water absorbed and then you can just put it under a lamp until it dries completely and put it back with the other chicks. Putting him back damp might get him picked on by the clutchmates.

Back
Top Bottom