Egg-mergency!!

Pretty-Poultry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
Hey all! My beautiful frizzle hen layed her first egg on Christmas (12 or 11 days ago) and has not layed another one. Would anybody be able to tell me why? If it helps, it is very hot here.

Well, it was her first egg. Pullets when they first start laying, they egg will be small and they may not lay everyday, or for a week. It's normal. One of my pullets layed her first egg, than it was almost 3 weeks until she layed another.

Oh okay, thanks :) her first egg was pretty big though. It was cool, haha

Last edited:
Ya, when Eggy laid her first egg, it was a huge and had 3 yolks(hence the name Eggy) that's also very common in pullets starting to lay, have strange shaped eggs, fart eggs, big or small eggs, just about anything could happen.

Fart eggs, aka "oops" eggs are tiny little eggs, often only white and a shell (no yolk). Even experienced layers sometimes lay them. It's nothing to worry about unless you get lots of them. Here's 2 very good examples from my hens:

Last edited:
Another thought (aside from it was her first egg :) ), I used to have cochins- LF not bantam- and they weren't the best layers to begin with. But, their production got even worse when it was hot. They literally wilted in the heat. If your little Cochin is anything like my big girls, when she does finally start laying well, then she'll go broody....alot :D Good luck, I'd like to add some frizzled Cochin bantams to my silkie flock. Enjoy her cute little eggs!

Back
Top Bottom