Egg Mobile Trailer Project

tinzman8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
I started working on my new egg mobile this past weekend. Up til now I've always had my chickens in a traditional coop that you can't move. After researching and reading about them, I've decided to build my own "Egg Mobile" for a more efficient and healthy way of raising layers. First I found an old trailer that had a 4'x8' frame on it. It is very sturdy and better yet it was FREE!

I decided that I want my coop to house between 36-40 hens. So I made the floor frame 8'x10' using 2x6's and attaching it to the trailer frame using U-bolts.

Once I got the frame attached, I started working on the wire floor. I chose to do a wire floor instead of wood floor for easier maintenance and better ventilation. I chose to first put down 2"x2" woven wire (this was mostly for protection from predators, and it gave it more strength.) Once I was done with that, I put down traditional chicken wire over the top of that so the birds will still be able to walk on it, yet the poop will still be able to fall thru to the ground for the most part.

I'll be working on the walls tomorrow, I decided on doing 7' in the front, and 5' in the back. With the roosts on one side and my 10 nest boxes accessible from the outside. I'll post more pics as progress is made.

Updated pics

On a trip to Hawaii we visited a farm and saw just such a coop - I asked and the farmer said that it worked really well. He would just move it every week to 10 days, and the hens would follow along to there new site.

I'm in the planning stages of designing something like that myself.

I'd be interested to see your layout for your roosts and boxes and see how many birds you plan on keeping in there?

Thanks

I plan on running anywhere from 36-48 birds, it's going to have 12 nest boxes on one side and roosts on the other. I'll keep updating as I make progress.

Got the rafters up and ready for the aluminum roof. Also got started on the nest boxes. The nesting boxes will be attached to the back, and they will have doors to gather eggs from the outside.

Back
Top Bottom