Egg mystery with pic!

ChickieKat

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
We have 7 chickens. 2 are 6 months old. 1 Australorp and 1 Silkie. 5 are 3 1/2 months old. 1 NH Red, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Silkie, 1 Jersey Giant and 1 Brahma. I am pretty sure the Australorp is the one laying, but the Barred Rock is squatting with her wings out when we pet her too. They live in the basement for now. We weren't able to get the coop built in time for winter, so they are down there. They are in a closed off room and have a pen with shavings in it and a roost and a bucket for a nest box. I know, I know, it isn't ideal, but it is what it is for now.

We have heard the egg song twice now. Once was 4 days ago and we went to look for eggs that morning and didn't find anything. We went down later that evening and found it on the floor in the corner of the pen under the roost. Nowhere near the bucket nest box. We have been checking for eggs, but haven't heard the egg song again until this morning. We have scoured the room and there are absolutely no other eggs to be seen.

The other part to this mystery is the sheer size of the first egg. I would say it is equivalent to a grocery store size XL egg. It was very large and perfect looking. We haven't eaten it yet, as there are 3 of us and we want to wait until we have 3 to make breakfast one morning.

I know without a doubt that there is no other place they could be stashing them and most of all I am baffled at why there were no small eggs to start, only the one huge one.

So..... Do chickens "practice" their egg song?
Do some chickens just start out laying large eggs?
Can chickens possibly eat eggs with absolutely no remnants of shell/yolk on the shavings?

Help??

Last edited:
Yes, some hens will practice the egg song, you may hear it for several days before the egg appears, I would still look tho and yes, I have three BA's and the first egg looked liked she had been doing it for years :) Not common but it does happen :)
I have a couple Ancona hens that started laying late summer and by golly, everytime those girls laid an egg the whole County knew it...They took a few months off because of molting and one of them laid her first egg of the year today...didn't hear a peep from her, she stayed out of the coop and instead went quietly into the rabbit house and found a nice quiet place, I had seen her in and out so I was prepared and knew to check in there a couple times a day.
They are amazing creatures I am discovering and fun to watch

The egg is likely a double yolker. You need to give them some time to make it to the nesting box. Sometimes they get surprised by the egg coming and don't make it to the box before it comes out. Yes, chickens can practice their egg song and nesting. Some will sing with other pullets, my rooster sings too.

Back
Top Bottom