Egg mystery

Ed Wilmer

In the Brooder
Aug 25, 2021
Ok, so...

We have 9 pullets: 4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 "Easter Eggers" and a Barred Rock. About six weeks ago 3 of the reds, 1 of the Eggers, and both of the Silvers began laying. 1 Red, 1 Egger and the Rock are a bit slower to the party.

But this morning I went to let the birds out of the coop and found two identical eggs on the floor, side by side. They were very light brown color, larger than any of our other eggs. The only difference between them is that one had a good solid shell and the other was very soft.

The girls who have been laying have been very consistent in size, shape, and color. These were certainly not any of theirs. And I seriously doubt two birds of different breeds and ages just happened to lay identical eggs side by side on the same night. But...

Could one chicken have laid two full size eggs at once? On her first try? I didn't think that was physically possible.

I dunno. I only see two options and they both seem equally unlikely. Oh well. Either way I went out again this morning and there was a fresh egg, just one, with a good solid shell and in a nesting box. Damned tasty too. If that keeps happening, I guess I'll find a way to live with never solving the mystery

I dunno. I only see two options and they both seem equally unlikely. Oh well. Either way I went out again this morning and there was a fresh egg, just one, with a good solid shell and in a nesting box. Damned tasty too. If that keeps happening, I guess I'll find a way to live with never solving the mystery
This mystery is y i put up my Wyze cams lol in the morning I face to the boxes so I see who is laying lol

It's not that unusual for different hens to lay eggs at the same location. I provide 3 nesting boxes for my hens, but inevitably they all choose the same one to lay their eggs in. If another bird saw an egg there, it may well have chosen to deposit her egg there as well.

Back
Top Bottom