egg... no shell **PICTURES ADDED** Found Another One!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
My barred rock was the only hen not to lay an egg today. This evening at bed time, I was tucking them in and she went in the nest and laid a perfect egg.. no shell. It was so odd to see her in the nest at that time of evening. It looked like someone had cracked into the nest as in a frying pan.

They get layer feed, oyster shell , and water, free choice 24/7. They free range on 2 acres eating greens, worms, etc. They get freshly home made yogurt with either brown rice or oatmeal every morning. Scratch in their pen and sunflower seeds thrown outside for them.

This has never happened. I have been getting 8-9 eggs per day. Today I got 8 and then this egg with no shell.

What went wrong and what do I do to help?

Thank you,
Ellie

UPDATE: I just went out and looked at it... it was in a sac that looks like a surgeons glove or brown balloon.

Last edited:
sometimes you get those problems. I had one with a shell that was thinker then a bomb shelter. it sounded like metal when I flicked it

I would love to see a picture of what it looks likes. Any way you could take it and post one for us?

I was so shocked that I simply scooped it up with shavings and threw it out of the coop. I was worried that she may try to eat it. Then we would be in a peck of trouble for sure.

Thing is, I thought, "gee, is that an egg?" It was dark in there and I touched it to grab it and my fingers found warm yolk... ugh... so got rid of it.

Probably should have taken a pic but really did not want that hen to eat it.

Ellie

if that problem happens again then I dont know what to say.

is she eating fine like the rest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, she should be. They are so darned healthy.

I am worried; unless this is something that just happens once in a while.

Ellie

there are some strange occurances where this happens. its kind of rare I would think. usually yolk with no shell would mean improper diet but you seem to got it down real good

Anyone have any suggestions?

I am going to mix their regular feed in their yogurt to see if that will entice them to eat more of their regular feed. They seem to eat it just fine, but there is obviously something not quite right.

Thanks,
Ellie

One of my girls laid an egg with no shell a couple of times when she was beginning to lay...it also had that sac looking thing in there with the eggy-mess. Once it even had a couple stringy blood clots in it. In both cases she stopped laying for a few of days (and I noticed she started eating more oyster shell). But since then, (knock on wood) she's been laying just fine. I think sometimes there can maybe be a glitch in the system, especially when they're just beginning to lay, and their bodies just have to work it out.

Here's the scary pic of the bloody version (I'm guessing yours was probably like this without the blood)...I was SO worried...

7ac8a817.jpg

I had a couple of those back when my girls were just starting to lay. I've also heard it happens when they are going into, or out of a molt. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, unless she keeps it up, or has other odd symptoms of not being well. Mine also had the "soft shell" and it was intact. It was like holding a jello egg or something, lol! I took it in the house and cracked it in the sink, and everything seemed fine inside.

I also remember finding 2 or 3 of them under their roost, as if they just slipped out...and I think someone else on here found one in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom