egg... no shell **PICTURES ADDED** Found Another One!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great picture. My 11 year old daughter found one of these this morning. It was in the nesting box. It was the weirdest looking/feeling thing but the kids thought it was way cool...LOL. Not sure which girl layed it but will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the info.

We have had slightly soft shells now and then, and one time we had a egg that was really small, less than half size, and so we boiled it and it had no yolk! That was probably 3 weeks ago. We have pictures somewhere.

My AO laid a couple of shell-less eggs then stopped laying. I had never used oyster shell much but I bought a large bag of it and keep it out for them to eat when they want. She has started laying again although its winter. Our winter is warm one day and cold the next so she may lay all winter. I also had another young hen start laying last week. I guess I will be incubating all winter. Spring needs to get here quick. I'll run out of room.

I had several of the very soft shell eggs for a while, then put our freechoice oystershell. Now I get eggs with shells almost too hard to crack and they sometimes have a sandpaper surface. I am not sure how to find the balance between soft and hardshell.

One of mine laid a shell-less egg yesterday. The weirdest looking thing! My husband brought it in and it had a light colored outer coat, then I pulled it open inside the house and it was a regular egg inside, perfect yolk and everything. I think since they are newly laying (just started laying Nov 27th) they can have something like this. Today we had all regular shelled eggs. They have access to plenty of feed, oyster shells and free range. It's just a fluke - new system thing? I should've taken a picture to post...it was too weird!

i'm neverous about my first "soft shelled" egg because i'm still building my laying boxes and for now my hens have been laying in a croner of the coop and i'm wondering if when i find it will it have soked up into the dirt?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom