egg... no shell **PICTURES ADDED** Found Another One!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found another one today. It was in the garden where they were grazing all day. Here is a picture and it looks like the other one did. That is just mud next to them from the garden.

Eggwithnoshell.jpg

And the Yolk is perfect.
Yolkfromshell-lessegg.jpg

Ellie

I never had that happen to me until a few weeks ago I got two in one day, laying side by side. What a gross feeling when I thought they were regular eggs and went to pick them up. Yuck. Hasn't happened since.

Yep...not to worry...I've seen others post that kind of egg here and say things soon went back to normal...we were laughing at someone getting it to bounce like a rubber ball
smile.png
One of my Salmon Faverolles laid one of those once too (although I didn't get to bounce it)...she had already laid a "normal" egg earlier in the day and the weird one came out in the evening while she was up on the roost. Took a few days, but she went back to laying normally again. She also happened to go broody about 2 weeks later...that was probably just a coincidence though...

Karmical, it just occurred to me that this one I found this morning in the garden was from yesterday and that means I got 10 eggs from 9 girls.

NCCatnip, that is what happened last evening; it was in the nest and she just laid it and I thought it an egg and reached for it.... yech.

I had no idea that they could lay more than one egg a day.

Thanks everyone for easing my mind. I was worried for them and now feel much better.

Ellie

Last edited:
Yes, it's probably a glitch in her egg-making systems. It might fix itself soon. Always be sure to feed her oyster shells or egg shells.

Good luck and hope she lays well soon!

I've found a couple of those rubbery eggs myself. They were both under the roost, not in the nest box. I wonder if they just kind of slipped out while they were sleeping or something. My chickens get oyster shell, and they eat well so I don't think it is a nutritional deficiency.

My easter egger laid a weird egg today in the nest box. It was very, very small, and only had half a shell! The other half was rubbery. She went in to lay, and when she came out there was this tiny egg the size of a large olive (the part of the shell that was formed was blue like usual). Weird!

I have a barred rock who has layed 3 of these eggs with no shell in a row. I think she may be coming out of molt. I found one of the eggs when I was closing them up for the night and it was splattered on the floor right under her, she didn't even make it to the nesting box. From previous comments, it sounds like something that happens once in a while and then quits. I'll wait and see.

Sometimes shell-less or soft shelled eggs happen with new layers or older layers. Usually, it's just a glitch.

I have one out of 18 hens that has been laying about 3 months and never laid a "normal" egg. They all get layena feed - available 24/7. Also oyster shell available 24/7. And they all free range. This one won't eat at all if I separate her - and I've tried that to see if I could up her calcium. I think she's probably got some issues - so I'll just keep an eye on her and consider her a pet.

Here's a picture of one of her soft shells:

042709-1.jpg

Just make sure to check the vent of the one laying the "shell less" egg. I've found that the shell is so soft it sometimes breaks and even though the egg part comes out, the shell sometimes gets stuck in the vent. Not to alarm you - just something to watch for.

Hopefully your little layer won't do this for long.

Penny

This is very timely info for me, since my easter egger just started doing the same thing. Glad to hear it's probably nothing major!

Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom