Egg Overload -- Making the Bacony Quiche of Awesomeness

Wish I had some recipes to share. I am up to 6 dz eggs and I searching for recipes myself
big_smile.png

It sure is nice when they start laying again!

Enjoy

Trish

I'm at 5 or 6 18 packs and loose eggs all over the place. I tossed about 8 to the hens today because I discovered a new 'nest' on top a shade structures roof and didn't know how long they had been up there or how hot they got. tossed another dozen yesterday that I needed a chainsaw to get to! Now that I have all the darned places figured out, they can't hide anymore!!! I even boiled the oldest and had theboys crush and feed them back to the birds!!

I did make a nice scramble the other night for dinner with cream, havarti and cheddar chese, sauteed asparagus & red pepper. Left overs were just as good on the the thin bagels after toasting.

I've got 2 crusts to make quiche with but can't decide if I want to make them with leftover ham or bacon - both would be just as nice, but I tend to eat more bacon that utilize it in anything.I know I have a ton of eggs and little imagination or guts to try something new - boy would I LOVE to make lemon curd with my lemons!

Bacon quiche smells, er I mean sounds delightful!

we made a huge egg salad last week to use up eggs. we ate it for a whole week.
I vote for chocolate cake.

My Fannie Farmer baking book has a recipe for a custard angel cake that takes ~9 whole eggs and is sooooo good. I've tweaked it with different extracts and toppings already. Today's experiment involves swapping brown sugar for white (going for a caramel flan taste). My husband is a huge angel cake fan so he's thrilled with my weekly cake experiments.

Huevos Rancheros

Serves 8
1 large onion - chopped
1 green bell pepper - chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 packet taco seasoning – I like Old El Paso
1-28 ounce can diced tomatoes
1-32 ounce box chicken broth

8 flour tortillas – homemade are best

Mexican blend cheese

16 eggs – runny fried

1-30 ounce can refried beans

Saute onions and peppers in vegetable oil until they are softened, sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook and stir for about 3 minute. Stir in the taco seasoning packet. Add the tomatoes, stirring in well. Then stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook stirring often for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked and sauce is gravy thick.

To assemble.......

Heat refried beans

Fry flour tortilla in butter until crispy and browned on both sides. Spread some beans over the tortilla, top with a small handful of cheese. Place 2 fried eggs on the cheese and cover with Ranchero sauce. Top with another small handful of cheese and serve immediately.

Serve with refried beans and Spanish rice.

Serves 8

I found a great way to use up eggs and save time. I make a huge batch of french toast, eggs, milk, cinnamon, and bagettes sliced thin about 1/2 inch (I had several bagettes of course you can use any bread.) I cook them up and serve them. Then I put the rest in gallon sized freezer bags. Taa daa! My teenage son has a real breakfast in the morning, all he has to do is warm up as much as he wants in the microwave. I know its not the most healthy thing but it's great for him because he would live on carbs if he could and I'm glad to get some protein in him! This way I'm actually freezing eggs in a way they will really be used!
big_smile.png

I got this recipe from the Parade magazine in the Sunday paper...It is awesome...I did add a pound of crumbled bacon to it though...everything is better with bacon. It fills a 9 x 13 pan, we had plenty of leftovers :)

Last edited:
Try using using the pillsbury (or store brand) cresent roll dough for the crust, it will make the crust much richer. I did that when my pie crusts were too cracked to use, I just dumped them out and formed the cresent dough into the pie tins...huge success.

I'm at 5 or 6 18 packs and loose eggs all over the place. I tossed about 8 to the hens today because I discovered a new 'nest' on top a shade structures roof and didn't know how long they had been up there or how hot they got. tossed another dozen yesterday that I needed a chainsaw to get to! Now that I have all the darned places figured out, they can't hide anymore!!! I even boiled the oldest and had theboys crush and feed them back to the birds!!

I did make a nice scramble the other night for dinner with cream, havarti and cheddar chese, sauteed asparagus & red pepper. Left overs were just as good on the the thin bagels after toasting.

I've got 2 crusts to make quiche with but can't decide if I want to make them with leftover ham or bacon - both would be just as nice, but I tend to eat more bacon that utilize it in anything.I know I have a ton of eggs and little imagination or guts to try something new - boy would I LOVE to make lemon curd with my lemons!

Bacon quiche smells, er I mean sounds delightful!

Back
Top Bottom