Egg Overload!

Farmgirl1878

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Piketon, Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
I have fourteen pullets who are all laying, so I’m averaging ten to twelve eggs a day. Hubby and I are eating lots, but can’t keep up. Fortunately for us, we live in very rural southern Ohio. Unfortunately for us, we live in very rural... Well, you get the idea. Earlier this spring, folks were buying eggs to eat or hatch, but that has tapered off. We had ten dozen eggs stacked up today, so took five dozen-ish up to the remote part of our hardwood tree farm and dropped them off in the woods. At least the coons and possum will eat good tonight! (No, they are nowhere near the coop area.)

9A84CD4F-AEC6-4CB9-ADE2-B2881B3C9826.jpeg

I have fourteen pullets who are all laying, so I’m averaging ten to twelve eggs a day. Hubby and I are eating lots, but can’t keep up. Fortunately for us, we live in very rural southern Ohio. Unfortunately for us, we live in very rural... Well, you get the idea. Earlier this spring, folks were buying eggs to eat or hatch, but that has tapered off. We had ten dozen eggs stacked up today, so took five dozen-ish up to the remote part of our hardwood tree farm and dropped them off in the woods. At least the coons and possum will eat good tonight! (No, they are nowhere near the coop area.)

View attachment 1703992
Oh! That hurts my heart! Dont you know any poor people to give them to! I actually give eggs to my hubs ex wife because she is disabled and broke!

I know the feeling! I have 9 Bantams, most are laying, 4 ducks, 2 are laying and 10 standard pullets just starting to lay. It's a lot of eggs to go through!

You can freeze eggs, either whole In muffin tins or in ice cube trays. You can also cook omelets and freeze them.

Baking can also reduce the number of eggs greatly. I'll make cookies and freeze them and bake them at a later date. This is my favorite cookie recipe.

http://hostthetoast.com/best-chewy-cafe-style-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I scramble extra eggs to feed back to the chickens, they love it! It's a favorite treat in my flock.

View attachment 1703992
Oh No! If you can't give them to a local rescue shelter, at least scramble them up and give them back to the hens! Or your dog, if you have one. Give them to the local Grange or a church. :confused:

I do treat the flock to a dozen or so scrambled eggs when it’s cold. They love them mixed with some hot, wet chicken chow.

And hubby’s been experimenting with cakes and custards. And I will definitely try the cookie recipe! We even had a soufflé the other night. That uses a lot of eggs, but still.

We give them to friends and neighbors who need them, but can’t give them to churches or shelters without jumping through lots of health department hoops.

Im waiting to hear back from the county 4-H coordinator to see if she needs eggs to give to the schools for hatching. I’d love for that to happen! In the meantime, I’m running out of egg cartons!

Dogs LOVE eggs. My puppy is constantly stealing from our coop:) Maybe just crack all the eggs and put them into a huge tub which you could freeze. Is there a Farmer's Market in your area?

Also, eggs don't need to be in a fridge, so if your fridge is full, you could just keep them out. And, most grocery store eggs are 45 days or older, so eggs obv. last a long time.

Try food pantries or contact some of your local churches who may know of some family's in need.
I have two pantries i donate my access eggs too. Both of them send me a tax statement at the end of each year. One of the pantries send someone to pick them up at my door.
That picture of those beautiful eggs in the woods breaks my heart. There are familys everywhere struggling paycheck to paycheck to make ends meet to feed their family.
I sell eggs, i donate eggs, and when i feel some eggs are to old for either...
I make a angel food cake and a dish of custard from the yolks. My family loves it!

I do treat the flock to a dozen or so scrambled eggs when it’s cold. They love them mixed with some hot, wet chicken chow.

And hubby’s been experimenting with cakes and custards. And I will definitely try the cookie recipe! We even had a soufflé the other night. That uses a lot of eggs, but still.

We give them to friends and neighbors who need them, but can’t give them to churches or shelters without jumping through lots of health department hoops.

Im waiting to hear back from the county 4-H coordinator to see if she needs eggs to give to the schools for hatching. I’d love for that to happen! In the meantime, I’m running out of egg cartons!
I'm sure you are doing all you can to make sure the eggs are not wasted. Love the different colors of eggs that you have. I'm currently enlarging my flock to include white egg layers and olive eggers! Enjoy spring!;)
eggs in nest.jpg

Back
Top Bottom