egg pipped, yolk leaked out

duckface

Songster
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
the back of my horse
I posted this in the duck forum, but got no responses so I thought I'd try here.
smile.png

Yesterday some of my duck eggs started to pip. This morning I found a pool of yolk under one of them. I quickly got the egg out, but am wondering if it's safe to leave the yolk in there. I'm concerned about bacteria affecting the others. Does anyone know why this happened?

I have never had that happen to me. I am guessing that one didn't make it?
The yolk in the bator could cause bacteria but I think it would be worse to try to go in and clean it up right now since your eggs are pipping and the drop in humidity would not be good for them.

Yes, they were pointy end down in the turner. When I noticed the pips, though, I took them out of the turner and placed them on the floor of the bator because it was my understanding that was the thing to do. Did I do it too soon?

You should go into lockdown on day 18. At this time you should position your eggs either laying down or in the egg carton which ever method you are going to use to hatch and raise the humidity to 60-70% and do not open until you are done hatching. Good luck with the remainder of the hatch.
P.S. I hatch them flat on the floor of the bator lined with rubber non slip shelf liner. This way they dont roll as much when the hatched chicks bump them kinda like carpet vs. linoleum.

Back
Top Bottom