Egg Pipping - Should I Help??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TarHeelBlue, Jan 29, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I have an egg pipping, the shell is slightly broken with a small piece hanging off, but it looks as if the membrane inside is not broken- maybe dehydrated and tough????? should I give it a little help. I have already had one chick not make it out because of this? (that's the way it looked) I don't want to lose any more babies but I don't want to do anything wrong either because I have seen both posts - help/ don't help. HELP ME:barnie

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    How long has it been like this?

3. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Not very long as far as I know - i noticed that some of the eggs were rocking, then heard peeping. looked closer (through the window! :) and saw a small piece of shell hanging. when i used a light to look, it seems like the membrane is not broken - some maybe a few hours

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I'd help it, little at a time. I wet my finger with warm water to get the membrain soft. Do a little picking at the shell and then put it back. If nothing happends after an hour do some more. I didn't help mine and it never made it out. Now I help and they end up fine. Good luck

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I really wouldn't help it. Not yet anyway. You'll likely just end up dragging out a chick with an unabsorbed yolk. Give it AT LEAST six hours after pipping. Mine always pip then do nothing for a few hours. That's them absorbing the yolk, and it's a very necessary wait.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Besides not helping a pipping chick you shouldn't even open the incubator until all the chicks have hatched.

It can sometimes take a full day for a chick to release its self from the shell. Trying to help it often kills the chick.
    Opening the incubator to remove chicks lowers the temperature and can delay or terminate the others. Please do yourself a favor and sit on your hands until the hatch is complete.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:X2.

There is a LOT of time spent absorbing yolk and "finishing up" between pip and zip! I've had eggs pipped for 24 hours before the chicks get ready to zip open their prisons.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    It is really hard your first few hatches, once you get used to eggs hatching, and your incubator, to relax and just enjoy the show. Often one egg will pip and sit there for 24-48 hours while other pip and zip. If your humidity is good just wait. I've had some pip then hatch when I left for work. Others will hatch quickly. Crazy.

9. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    How is your humidity?

10. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Humidity is at 73%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by