Egg positioning in Brinsea Octagon incubator

Turnipseed

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2018
Oregon
I am incubating eggs for the first time. Right now they are on day 11 sitting pointy side down in a Brinsea Octagon 20 incubator with egg separators in (there are 22 eggs total). One thing confuses me: Most of the incubation videos I've seen have been from incubators where the eggs lay on the side and are kept on the side at lockdown. My eggs are sitting upright and the air cells are on top. I was under the impression I was supposed to remove the egg separators at lockdown, which would cause at least some of the eggs to sit on their side. With the air cell on top, will this position be okay for the chicks to hatch? If not, am I supposed to keep the egg separators in?

You can lay them on their sides for lockdown. Most incubators with a turner hold the egg upright, which is fine and actually there is a slight decrease in incidents of malpositions when eggs are incubated this way. Then for lockdown you can take out the rails and lay the eggs down on their sides. They can hatch upright too but most people prefer to lay them down for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom