Egg Prices

I have been selling eggs for about 6 weeks now. I only charge $1.25 but others around here are charging $1.50. I bring my eggs in every little while and wash the poop off them. I won't eat the poop so wouldn't want others to. I am not into making money since this is my hobby. As long as I can pay for the feed that is all I am worried about. I buy feed from the feed store and get a 50# bag for $9.95 no tax and get cracked corn 50# bag for $7.95. I also give my chickens lettuce and other veggies that they like as well as fruits during the summer. Apples are their favorite. Bread is another treat for them as well as potato peelings. They have two outside pens and a large inside pen. I use the red lights at night for warmth and white lights early of a morning and evening for artificial light. My girls are not abused and all but one seems to be complete with all their feathers. I clean my coop weekly because I can't stand the smell or the mess and won't subject them to it either. They are my PETS not just a money maker. I enjoy taking care of the chickens although I have been seriously thinking of bringing them up to the house on the patio with heat so that I don't freeze going outside 6-8 times a day. Thanks for listening.

Some people here sell chicken eggs for $4 a dozen, and Duck for $EIGHT (which i think is absolutely crazy!)
A 20kg (44lb) bag of food, costs me $10.25.
I sell my eggs for $2.50 a dozen because you can buy eggs from walmart for that price, and free range eggs at the store are 3.50 or so.
I plan to raise my price in the spring to $3, when I'm getting more eggs from the girls, because I'll also have another 11 chicken mouths to feed at least!

For now though, selling 4 dozen a week = a bag of food. I get 5-7 dozen a week..

How many chickens do you have? I sell mine for $1.50 but I haven't had any eggs since the end of September and I have 32 hens. When I do have more I'm going to up the price to $2.00. Eggs in the store are at least $2.00 and mine eggs are better then the stores, just like yours are. The feed went up here so I need to have them pay for their way again. They have been freeloading for far to long.
he.gif

Just think if you up your price you could save for a new bator to hatch more chickens. You can never have to many chickens.
lol.png

Hello My first post to bYC. Northern Ca. is where I live. I feed my chickens organic certified feed, greens, veggies as well as the important flax seed for Omega 3. My price is 4.00 per dozen with egg carton. I have reviewed websites and the state of ca regulations for selling eggs. This is my understanding so far for CA: As A BACKYARD seller from the home no license is required for selling to non restuarant, non institutional buyers. In other words I may sell only to consumers for home consumption. Prices in my area at Trader Joes 4.00/ dozen cage free organic. Per the CA district egg inspector I must clean the eggs using a disinfectant, ( check the web for info), candle and know the grade of eggs. Also for federal regulations i must have a packing date or Julian date on egg carton. I'm not allowed to reuse printed egg cartons unless certain info is completely marked out like prevoius julian date, farmers name. I sell 5-7 dozen per week from my home. .The chickens are allowed out to pasture but not free range. Advertising is allowed ONLY by sign( no prices allowed) in front of house. However most business is by word of mouth. I do have customers that i deliver to but charge extra and only when I have a large order. People in my area love my eggs

I do believe what our marketing expert put out there for our benefit. I do believe that one needs to know your local market and establish what you are about. I buy the feed, collect greens and have a fabulous hobby! I have a helper who takes care of watering and some other chores in taking care of the chickens My helper also is the point person for selling all the eggs. The helper gets to keep all the sales monies to use for his special school expenses account. Yes that helper is my son learning responsibilities, how to run a business. The experience is priceless!

Last edited:
I sold my first Dozon yesterday. Woo Hoo!

I'd not planned on selling any but the girls are really out doing themselves and this household only eats 2.5 doz per week. So it was nice that my partners co-worker only eats farm fresh and his supplier's chickens are currently molting. I'll be selling him a doz each week for $2.00. My food cost are $12 per three weeks so it takes a good chunk out of that.

Rules of eggs sales here in VT/NH are that the packages need to clearly state where the eggs came from. Farm name and town or your street address. And you'd need to be inspected to list as Organic though you can label Pastured if that's what you do without inspection. Unsure about labeling Free Range without inspection. And we can reuse cartoons as long as your name and adress are in ink over it. Whatever, I'm not actually marketing. The fella that wants the eggs saw first hand how they live. Told him I let the girls out for 2 hours a day this time of year, as they were pecking his pants asking for treats, for they tend to bug the nieghbors for bugs if they have more free time.

Last edited:
around here everyone has chickens. There are places that have a fridge by the garage and a sign that says donatons welcome. No chance of selling them for $4 a dozen.

I sell my eggs for $1:00 a doz. The Walmart here sells for $1.50 ish. I don't buy cartons, I put them in a bag or a small box, if I have any. I have regular customers that will buy as many as I have. Whatever we make is added to our church collection. Works for us.

Here in Vermont I sell mine to coworkers for $2 if they give me a carton, $2.50 if they don't. I see eggs at the farmers markes for $5!

Back
Top Bottom