Egg problem, hope this right place!!

flopsy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
I accidently left yesterdays eggs on counter overnight!! Is it OK to use/sell them now after washing them and should I refrigerate?? Throw away??

I'd absolutely use them. They can easily sit on the counter for a week and not be 'bad'. Ovenight in your cool house will not be a problem at all. Look at it this way - an egg can sit for 10 days and still hatch a baby chicken if you start to incubate it. One night on your counter is not going to make it go bad.

Just pop them in the fridge.

Also, a lot of us do not wash the eggs UNLESS they are dirty. Washing an egg that is clean removes the 'bloom' which protects the egg from bacteria, and also can push the very microbes you are attempting to remove INTO the egg through the porous shell.

If my eggs have any dirt/mud on them, I just wipe them with a damp paper towel with plain water. If I keep my nest boxes clean and dry with fresh bedding every so often then my eggs are usually clean anyway unless it's raining and the hens have muddy feet.

-S

Ty, Arlee! Oh, I hate those muddy feet prints on my eggs!!! LOL And I read on here about keeping the straw clean and when I see it becoming "dirty", I change it out and dust the nest box. Ty for your help!

My grandparents live in Germany and have had a farm all their life. The eggs they collect sit in the pantry for a few days and then into the cellar. So they are never actually refridgerated and we have never gotten sick from it. They barely put anything in the fridge over there.

eggs also do better in recipes if they are room temperature.

i have a friend who keeps all of her eggs outside of the fridge on purpose. no sickness....just good cooking.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom