Egg production, dropping *big* time!

misspoppins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Alabama
A bit of a problem:
I used to get abut 7-8 eggs per day (I have 8 hens). But for a few weeks now I've been only getting 1 egg per day, if that! Do any of y'all know what's wrong here and how to fix it?
hmm.png

It has been raining a lot here lately... I don't know if the lack of sunlight is causing this? And I just moved all of my hens into a brand new coop/run about a week ago. Could the stress of the move be the problem?

Anything y'all can think of to help, would be greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Last edited:
The stress of the move could be a factor, but most likely it's lack of daylight this time of year.

Experts recommend 14 hrs of light for best egg production. Do you have a light in the coop?

Yes moving could be a factor also could they be molting? A friend of mine has 4 hens and they are all molting at the same time! She is very upset that she has to buy eggs! As for mine I have 22 (or so
hide.gif
) hens, at the beginning of the summer I was getting 14 or so eggs a day, now I am getting 1 or 2. I have a few molting, I assume that's what it is, I have never experienced that before. I had a couple of extra roos and I got rid of those, so I am unsure what the problem is. The weather of course is changing but it didn't effect them like this last year.

Sorry I can't be of any help, I seem to be in the same eggless boat as you!

I'm lucky at this point to get 1 egg a day - my girls are going into their third winter. I hope they pick up again in Spring..... I have 12 hens!!!

This is my girls' first year... so they should be doing good!

There's nothing I can do, then? They're just stressed or perhaps molting (I don't think they're molting)?

Stress from the move could be a factor, and less daylight hours does not help. You could add a light. Do they have enough protien in their diet?

I am not glad to see others having difficuties, but glad to see I am not the only one. We went from a dozen a day (14 hens) to 2-3, if we're lucky. I even swithched to a more expensive feed a couple months ago, but that has not helped. I have been in denial about what I think is really going on. They are eating them! This summer in the pen we caught them eating their eggs and soon we were not getting any out of the pen. I think the behavior has carried over into the hen house now. I guess there is nothing to do about it.
Gram

I *assume* they have enough protein... they just eat regular layer pellets.
What else could I feed them that could add more protein to their diet?

Thats my question also. Mine have feed readily available, am I correct to assume their feed contains enough protein or should I be supplementing? If so with what? I know their own eggs are a great source of protein but that's kind of hard to do when they aren't laying any!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom