egg production increased with morning light

mikecoen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Berthoud, Colorado
we had been using a light to extend the day from just before sunset until 10:30 pm. Egg production went down to one or two eggs per day for 8 Americauna hens just less than a year old. We heard the light should come on early in the morning, so we switched our timer over to come on about 1 am, giving light until sunrise. The egg production in two weeks has picked up to 5 the last two days. That is quite a difference and we were pleased that they got back to laying so quickly after "shutting down" for the winter. They are very hardy birds as well. They had been molting during the few weeks they were down on their egg production As a benchmark, they had laid 7 eggs per day in late summer.

Congratulations!!
thumbsup.gif

Morning only is better than night only, but the best is split. so you have 14 to 15 hours of light total, young birds will lay with less light but once they are over a year they will generally not. I use about 14 hours 5 am to about 8 am, off, then 4:30 pm to 8 pm, off. with this system when natural sunlight catches up again all I do is shut off the timer my birds don't even notice. the other thing how bright of a light for how big of a room, to much light can cause a problem as much as not enough: light/time

I do not disagree with your results, with providing 15 hours of light. I, respectfully, would merely decline to apply the management practice. I'd rather employ a different strategy, that of achieving adequate flock laying rate by the predominant use of first year pullets. Having virtually every day, 365 days a year, be June 21st, with 15 hours of light, would be the chicken equivalent of me being forced to watch Ground Hog Day over and over.
smile.png

Last edited:
Can I ask what you do with your year old hens, I use heritage birds so the old breeds don't disappear, so using pullets every year for the most part will not work some can take up to 9 months to mature. and no eggs all winter is not an option, those late maturing pullets won't kick in till mid-spring with-out lights and when will you get fertile eggs/chicks for replacements. I do not have the option for replacements from hatcheries do not carry my breeds, and if they do the quality sucks

Sure. We judge the flock after a laying season, ie when the hens are about 15 months old. Most will go to the stew pot. Some will held over for a) a moult and a second laying season. If they are kept it is also because b) they are chosen as proper breeding stock. We have a choice few who might be kept even a third season, ie pushing 4 years of age, but not very many, quite honestly.

Back
Top Bottom