Egg Production Question

gma2tex

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
My 18 Barred Rock hens finally started laying and they had worked up to an average of 11 eggs a day. Now I am only getting 4 to 6 a day. No eggs are in the run that I have found. Shouldn't they be producing at least an egg per day? They all look healthy. I've never had this many hens at one time....when I had 4 hens we had 3 eggs a day most days.

Its likely that the decreasing daylight hours are causing your birds to drop in egg production. To lay at their peak, layers should have about fourteen hours of light a day. If daylight hours drop below this, birds will slow down in laying. If you want your hens to continue laying at the same rate, I suggest possibly putting a small light into their coop.

They are going through a molting process where the egg production goes way down, don't worry about it.

how long does it take for chickens to come out of a molt? We have 250 chickens, we sell their eggs to the local food coop. I was getting 9 dozen eggs a day and then suddenly it dropped to 15-24 eggs a day!!!!!!!!!!! I have lighting in the coop..i am not sure what else to do! I do not see feathers anywhere...just no eggs! I do not think they are laying elsewhere either....I have looked and watched them. any suggestions?

I think so. We are feeding them close to 75 pounds of feed a day. 25 pounds of layer crumbles, and then 50 pounds mix of pea screens, red wheat, and sunflower seeds. I feed them whatever I can from the garden and scraps, and then I leave either oyster shell or crushed egg shells out free choice. Is there something else we should be adding into their diet???

They are not fat. It is a lot of feed...but we have 250 chickens and they still seem hungry at the end of the day! I really need some advice from large flock owners!!! Is there any threads about large flocks???

That is not a lot of feed. 250 hens should eat between 62 & 83 lbs. a day. If the pea screenings, wheat & sunflowers don't have as much protein as the 16% layer they will not lay as well. This feed will not have the balance of amino acids & vitamins that the balanced layer has either. Not to say that it is bad, just that it may not promote optimal laying. As for the OP with the 18 BRs, not many chickens lay an egg a day even at their peak. Most will lay 5-6 eggs a week. Lack of light or protein could make them lay less.

Back
Top Bottom