Egg production stopped

Buck-canuck

Hatching
Jul 31, 2023
Hello fellow guinea lovers. New to this forum. I said lovers because we enjoy having and watching them. Especially the keets. So cute. This my question. We have 2 hens and 1 rooster. Apparently breeding up to 5 hens is not for him. Only mrs brooster gets the 2 second interlude. Lol. So her eggs are fertile and pennies are not. However, penny does the crap job of sitting on the eggs for the 28ish days. Then the keets are born and momma and poppa take over the parenting chores. I didn’t realize it till this batch, momma doesn’t lay eggs while tending the young. Is this the norm or is she laying and consuming them? BTW, this batch is 10 days old and Penny is setting on another batch as we speak. Gonna be a keet overload. HAHA

Hello fellow guinea lovers. New to this forum. I said lovers because we enjoy having and watching them. Especially the keets. So cute. This my question. We have 2 hens and 1 rooster. Apparently breeding up to 5 hens is not for him. Only mrs brooster gets the 2 second interlude. Lol. So her eggs are fertile and pennies are not. However, penny does the crap job of sitting on the eggs for the 28ish days. Then the keets are born and momma and poppa take over the parenting chores. I didn’t realize it till this batch, momma doesn’t lay eggs while tending the young. Is this the norm or is she laying and consuming them? BTW, this batch is 10 days old and Penny is setting on another batch as we speak. Gonna be a keet overload. HAHA
Broody hens stop laying while they are sitting and if allowed to brood and raise the keets may not lay again until the next season.

Guineas do best in a near 1:1 male to female ratio. They tend to form pairs. Some dominant cocks will take more than one hen but even then, they have their favorite and may take another hen while she is sitting on a nest.

FYI, male guineas are not roosters, they are cocks.

Back
Top Bottom