Egg production way down and thin eggs

Britcheflee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
we have 7 hens which are about 2 years old now. From collecting 6 or 7 eggs a day we are down to 2-3 the white hen is still laying but have noticed her eggs have extremely thin shell. I add crushed oyster shell to feed they get kitchen scraps as well as scratch and they are let out now and then to scratch about. It has been extremely hot here over the past 4 months or so - and very dry - would that have any effect on laying? Thank you,

Lee

I think the heat can definitely effect production .. maybe someone else can answer the other question, or you can search the forums for "thin egg shells" and see what comes up ..

Best wishes.

For feed you said table scrapes and scratch?? They get to free range now and then? You really need to use a complete ration like layen pellets, then add the scratch and scraps. Of course the layen pellets vary from co to co. I reccomend purina products. I am in the south and thats what is available to me. You really need to feed a complete feed then add the other. The layen pellets will have the added calicum that they will need. I bet you will see a difference in your birds. I would blame the heat some but, more on diet. If Any knows about heat its here in SE. Louisiana.

Thanks, I have been using layette and a product from wal mart - prior to this egg laying has been good with nice eggs (won first place for my tints at local fair this year) - so maybe it is the heat.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom