Egg Production Way Down From A Week Ago Plz Help

If you do a search on mites/lice you'll find a lot of options for getting rid of them. Personally, I dust the birds at night with Sevin dust and repeat in 7-10 days. There are also a variety of poultry dusts available at your local feed store. You'll need to clean out the bedding as well.

Good luck!

Quote:
Seems out of 20 hens, 10 eggs are a little low anyway. Unless some have not started laying. As a preventative to lice/mites I use Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the deep littler method. You can search BYC for it. I'm under the impression when usinging a non-natural wormer, you should disgard eggs for two weeks following treatment. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can be used as a worm preventative in their non-metalic watering containers. However, IMO if you already have a know worm problem you should probably treat with an appropriate medicine. Good luck.

Last edited:
they are a little bug with a round body and light brown in color. i am not sure what kind of bug it is. but i am going to get some dust from the farm service today. i am new to chickens so i didnt know anything about bugs or any of this. but i am learning.

yeah i have around 20 hens but not all of them are of laying age yet. i havent wormed them yet. how do you tell if they have worms? i am still kind of new to chickens. the breeds are RIR, Gold Comet,EE,Black austrolopes,Appenzier and and a few game hens.

If you want to get the most bang for your buck use Eprinex. It worms and de-louses at the same time. It's expensive, but so worth it. 0.5 cc (0.25 for bantams) applied to the back of the neck or under the wings (directly on the skin, in other words). You can get the whole flock done in no time. Then you have more time to concentrate on the housekeeping, which is always the biggest and most time-consuming part of dealing with bugs. Don't forget to re-treat in 7-10 days. Bugs are such a pain. I think you'll see an overall improvement in your birds' productivity once you clean them up.

I heard Sevendust works for buggies, or a poultry duster. Deffinate DE for a preventative. I can't stress how much I love the stuff, prevents internal parasites (make sure you get food grade), prevents external parasites, & is a great odor helper if you sprinkle it in the bedding. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVe the stuff!

They could also be starting to moult this can affect egg laying too.

ok i went to the farm service today and bought some poultry dust. I cleaned out the coop and dusted the birds. Now they are picking in there feathers it looks like the are eating the bugs. Does that mean it is working?

Back
Top Bottom