egg production way down!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TeriS, Dec 15, 2011.

1. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am only getting an egg every few days- I have added light so that they have light for 14 hours a day- why have they slowed so much?

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    It's still artificial light.
    I'd say let nature work

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    it can take a couple of weeks for increased amount of light to work

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have 7 watt night lights on in my coops 24/7. It seems to help.

5. TeriS

TeriS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I'm also seeing a lot of feathers on the coop floor- although no one has bare patches on them- could they be molting and that could be reducing egg production? Guess I'm not too sure what molting looks like either.....

6. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm... well possibly molting. Usually you would notice some baldness but not positive.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Are they over a year old? Are they "spring chickens"? The expression, "she's not a spring chicken anymore" meaning, someone has gotten older, comes from the fact that while a first year pullet will generally lay very well right through their first winter, at their second autumn, they go into moult, take a couple months off from laying and re-boot, if you will.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    My chickens pretty much ground to a laying halt at the age of two years. If they're old they could be slowing down. Either that, or winter/molting is just getting to them. Wait till spring, they should be back up by then. [​IMG]

9. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    well thats good [​IMG] thanks

10. blackbelt

blackbelt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    bloomington springs tn
    For the most part egg production goes down some after the time change. Thats nature, however give the lights some time and you'll see an increase. I promise. Here on the website I set my light timer on week before the time change. I have some that will molt, but my egg production does not go down all that much. In the winter The homestead only keep about 40 birds, then in Feb I order our chicks for the spring. Winter time is kinda kick-back time and plan for the spring. I do spend a little more time on our home business, maybe a couple hours a day usually in the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by