1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg production

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stevezip, Oct 14, 2010.

1. stevezip

stevezip New Egg

Apr 26, 2010
    My 13 Rhode Island reds are 1 1/2 years old. I am getting between 8-11 eggs per day. Is that normal? Is there something I can do to increase the number of eggs per day? I already have a light plugged in to a timer so that the light comes on at 4:30am.

2. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    It is easy to increase production. Buy more hens!

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    8-11 eggs aday for 13 hens? I'd say that's pretty good. Especially this time of year.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:100% agree most people would love that average.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That's a normal and wonderful number of eggs. Time to buy more chickens?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. stevezip

stevezip New Egg

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks, I'm new at this and wasn't aware of what to expect. You are right, time to buy more hens.

7. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont think you are going to get more than that. if you want eggs through the winter though, put in a heat lamp. it keeps them laying, sometimes they lay even more, and it also keep them warm in the cold winter [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I'm no chicken expert. My mom wouldn't turn the heat on at our house. She always said it would keep us from getting sick.You know the hot then outside you get cold. In other words if you stay acclimated to the cold your body will adjust to being cold. It seemed to work or maybe she was trying to keep the electric bill down.LOL.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:It's also a good way to burn down your chicken coop. Chickens don't need heat--extra light from a 60 w bulb on a time to extend light to 14 hrs will help but heat, especially for RIR's isn't necessary. Forget a heat lamp!!

10. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Sounds like plenty to me. I'm still waiting on that $200 egg. Mygirls are almost 19wks old and still nothing. But I'd rather them be later and not have to worry about health problems from maturing too early. I can wait. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by