egg production

bugkiller

Songster
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
ontario
I was told by a friend before i got my chickens that they slow down egg production or even stop in the winter even if you add light. I have been getting an egg every day. his have almost stoped. Just now thought about it and he has RIR's and mine are barred rocks. do rocks produce more than RIR's

I think it may have more to do with what lines the birds come from. I think that probably even in the same breed, some lines will lay better than others. Look at show vs production birds within the same breed.

It may also have to do with how the birds are kept, and what kinds of foods they consume. My birds always seem to start laying late, no matter the breed.

I have Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites, Buff Orpingtons, and Isa Browns. They are all laying well. I have some neighbors who birds quit laying too. I do have a small 7 watt night light I leave on in their coop 24/7. They have no supplemental light in their coop. My birds do have nice big fenced in yards to roam in and the neighbors have a approximately 20' x 40' run. I do feed them 22% protein poultry feed and the neighbor use 16% layer.

Quote:
Generally, the RIR or BR are about equally good layers, with a slight nod to the RIR. If your flock is laying and your friend's flock is not, there are a host of possible reasons that would have nothing to do with the breed. Do one of you provide lighting and the other not? Do you feed different feeds? And, the biggest of all difference might simply be the ages of the flocks. A young flock, made up of first year pullets, in their first winter, generally outlay an older flock in winter.

I havn't had eggs in months......my flock is only 2 years old. They have lots of food (free choice), fresh,clean water a clean coop and can free range for atleast a few hours a day. I know that some flocks stop egg production after their molt. (like mine.) However I was hopeing for a small egg every now and then.

Our chickens had stopped after the moult and we even had to buy a dz store eggs
sickbyc.gif
so we added a light and what do you know about 3 or 4 days later we started getting eggs and little by little now all the hens are laying again.

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
Generally, the RIR or BR are about equally good layers, with a slight nod to the RIR. If your flock is laying and your friend's flock is not, there are a host of possible reasons that would have nothing to do with the breed. Do one of you provide lighting and the other not? Do you feed different feeds? And, the biggest of all difference might simply be the ages of the flocks. A young flock, made up of first year pullets, in their first winter, generally outlay an older flock in winter.

I think you figured it out for me. His are almost 2 yrs old. Mine 7 mths old. Did not think of age.​

Back
Top Bottom