egg query

lesleyad

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 12, 2014
belfast
Was looking a little advice ..sunday past my hen laid her 1st egg laid again on monday ...nothing tuesday then Wednesday morning there where 2 crushed eggs in the coop 1 was about an inch and a cirlce the other was double the size also a circle but the shell was barely there..then today she laid really early again not in the nesting box and the shell was almost like rubber ...has anybody any ideas ??

When your girls first start laying they can take a little while to get used to it!

It is not abnormal for the first few eggs to be strange- sometimes they arrive without a properly formed shell as you have described above.

Sometimes the eggs of a newly laying chicken can come out without a shell at all, and you will usually just find a mess of yolk and other stuff in the nesting box.

This usually happens while they are getting used to the whole laying thing, remember it is new to them and their reproductive systems are just getting fired up you could say!

To encourage her to lay back in the nesting box, try putting a golf ball or an 'egg substitute' so she recognises where to lay.

Keep in mind also with those dodgy first eggs it might have just come out when she was least expecting it, so she might not have actually had time to make it back to the nesting box despite her best effort (this has happened to me, I was gobsmacked at seeing a half-formed egg literally fall out of my chickens butt when she first started laying!)

It will only be a matter or time before the eggs come at a regular frequency, and are 'normal' in terms of their appearance.

All the very best! What an exciting ride you are in for :)

:clap :yiipchick :woot

This is sort of what I had thought but thank you so much for your advice and outting my mind at ease.:)

Oh your welcome! I've always had chooks as a child and now have a flock of my own, so it's sorta new for me again too :) most of it is straightforward and if you find yourself stumped on something then there is an answer for EVERYTHING on this forum

:thumbsup

Let us know how you go- good luck! :yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom